Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Beginning

This last year or so has been difficult.

Very difficult.

In my last year of highschool, I found myself confronting one Big Issue: my weight. I was a gymnast, I was an athlete, I ate healthy food...and I still wasn't happy with myself. I started to count calories. I stressed constantly. I exercised for hours. Now, stepping back from it all, I realized one important thing. It was time to appreciate myself.

Before I get too far in, let me say that I value the high fashion industry. It's an art form, and I have respect for anyone in the industry. This isn't to say that I'm for obesity either--you can be underweight, you can also be overweight. Neither is good. Diet and exercise are important no mater who you are.

However, moderation is key. I'm all for weight loss--but you have to be healthy. You can take diet and exercise too far, and that's what pop culture has a tendency to do. This is where the concept of this blog lies. I'm going to explore the differences between health, normalcy, and the images we're bombarded with on a daily basis. Between social experiments (ie attempting 'model' diets), nutrition reviews, and relevant interviews, I want to examine the real effects of eating like a model while looking at where real self value lies.

Finally, this is a no shame zone. Everything is open for discussion. Ask questions, make comments. It's time to have a real conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment