Monday, July 11, 2011

Skinny Bitch Smackdown...Postponed

In my eagerness to take Skinny Bitch down, I forgot to see if there was an easily available copy...and as it turns out, there wasn't. This makes it extremely hard to review it, especially when I'm trapped up north sans bookstores/libraries.

SO. I read Mimi Spencer's 101 Things to Do Before You Diet: Because Looking Great Isn't Just About Losing Weight. Although she clearly points out that she doesn't like the term diet (in fact, she uses the slightly saccharine term 'live it'), it still reads like a diet book. And guess what?

Diet books are boring.

I'll admit she had some interesting points (horizontal stripes make you look thinner? According to this study, they do) and I liked her writing style (I actually laughed out loud). I'll also admit that the content of the book was mainly...boring.

Image from http://wholefullysimple.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/in-defense-of-food.jpg



Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food also made it onto my list. This was more interesting, seeing as it *gasp* isn't a diet book and I *second gasp* enjoy reading science and sociology books.



Read this if you are at all interested in food. The manifesto "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." is possibly the most useful seven word piece of advice you'll ever find. It's a fairly short book (200 pages) and goes quickly. Because of this, I don't feel the need to review it in depth...it's easy enough to pick up for yourself. 

Now that I'm back from up north and have access to libraries, book stores, and a variety of food, I'll get my hands on Skinny Bitch and get going on another diet. Diet suggestions? Make a comment! I have a few crafty ideas, but I'm willing to consider anything you guys can think up.

No comments:

Post a Comment